Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Movie Review - A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Before I begin my review, I think you should see this:





Alright, glad that's out of the way. That should provide a pretty good idea of what I was up against seeing this movie. Having heard that A Clockwork Orange was a very bizarre movie, I couldn't help but want to see it, seeing how it aligned pretty well with my personality. I started off by reading the book by Anthony Burgess, which I can say is amazing and extremely fun to read. As if the book wasn't already a cult classic in and of itself with its perplexing use of a new language called Nadsat (which was pretty frustrating to get through at first) and a very off-the-wall science-fiction plot, the movie came by as one that you will absolutely never forget for a few reasons.

The thing that probably stands out the most in A Clockwork Orange is its incredible shock value. It was one of the first movies to be originally rated X upon its release, and for good reason considering the fact that it was only the beginning of the seventies when this movie was released. Although it may not be grossly more explicit than many R-rated movies of today, there are still some scenes that will make you sick to your stomach. Really. If you're a squeamish person, this probably isn't the movie for you.

Another thing that makes this movie stand out like it does is just how quirky it really is. From the aforementioned Nadsat slang to the way Alex (the main character) dresses, and just to the musical score and cinematography, this movie will certainly leave you wondering what it is you're really watching. Stanley Kubrick (also the director of The Shining) balances almost a zany and colorful aspect with the very dark and frightening one that hangs over the movie. Even when the movie ends, you aren't sure quite how to feel.

If I had a list of the top five movies that stuck with me since I finished them, this would definitely be on it. Ask anyone if they've seen A Clockwork Orange, and it's very unlikely that they'll say, "Yeah, I may have. I honestly don't remember." If someone's seen this movie, they'll never forget it. So if you're into more of the cult classics and darker storylines and can stomach the more graphic stuff, I would recommend you try this out, just to say you've seen it if nothing else.



No comments:

Post a Comment